Marius Borg Høiby has had his court dates confirmed for early next year. The son of Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit was charged with 32 counts, including rape, abuse in a close relationship against one former partner, and acts of violence against another, making death threats, and traffic violations.
Marius is the Princess' first child from a previous relationship, making him the stepson of Crown Prince Haakon, as well as the elder half-brother of future Queen, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, 21, and Prince Sverre Magnus. The Crown Princess has never publicly spoken out about her son's case, however, his stepfather and representatives of the Norwegian royal house have done.
Defence lawyer Ellen Holager Andenæs confirmed that proceedings will begin on February 3, 2026 and are expected to run until March 14, 2026.
Høiby allegedly assaulted the women while they were sleeping. He is currently free pending trial, and Oslo state attorney Sturla Henriksbo said there is currently no reason to arrest and jail him. The prosecutors' office estimates that the trial could begin in mid-January and take around six weeks, Norway's state-owned public broadcaster NRK reported.
Henriksbo, said: "This case is very serious. Rape and violence in close relationships are very serious acts that can leave lasting traces and destroy lives. The fact that Marius Borg Høiby is a member of the royal family should, of course, not mean that he should be treated more lightly or more severely than if similar acts had been committed by others."
There is reportedly evidence in the form of text messages, witness statements, and findings from police searches, investigators said.
The Norwegian Royal Family issued a statement to Norwegian media outlet NRK, which read: "The case is taking its course in the legal system, and follows normal procedures. We have nothing more to add."
However, Marius' stepfather, Crown Prince Haakon, made a personal statement on the case back in 2024. He said: "Marius is facing serious accusations, which the police and the judiciary will deal with. I am convinced they will do a good job.
"As a family and as parents, we have wanted Marius to receive help, and we have been working for a long time to get him to a place where he can receive more help. It is something we give a lot of priority to. It must be done within the framework established by the legal system."
You may also like
'Kyunki Tulsi Bhi Kabhi Swiftie Thi?' Smriti Irani adds 'fairy tale' twist to Taylor Swift's engagement
Tottenham 'line up transfer' after Xavi Simons and Manuel Akanji as conditions made clear
I never should have left Man Utd to join Chelsea - it's my only regret
PKL Season 12: Khatri, Inamdar shine as Puneri Paltan beat Bengaluru Bulls in tie-breaker
Shirley Ballas breaks silence on toyboy's devastating vanishing act and red flags she ignored